top of page
Using Mobile Phones
  • I need to report an animal welfare concern, who do I contact?
    All reports of animal cruelty, neglect, abuse, or abandonment must be reported to the National Helpline. We are an independent, community branch of the RSPCA. We operate in different ways to the National charity, and we do not have any facilities that allow us to log or raise animal welfare concerns with the RSPCA frontline teams (Inspectors and Animal Rescue Officers). If you are concerned about the welfare of a pet or farm animal, please call 0300 1234 999. If you have a concern about a wild animal, please use our checklist before reporting. Learn more about reporting cruelty to the RSPCA.
  • What is the difference between your branch and the national RSPCA
    Our Branch works independently of the National RSPCA. We are solely responsible for our own, local funding for animal welfare support, advice and education. We operate as a separate charity under the umbrella of the RSPCA, meaning that all of our funding goes back into supporting our own community of pet owners, and local animals in need. Overseen by a board of trustees, we work alongside private veterinary clinics and surgeries, offering emergency funding, supporting frontline teams, and providing financial assistance towards neutering and microchipping for pet owners on a low income. We are an administrative, community branch. So, unlike the National RSPCA, we do not have a frontline team of our own, but work in support of their ongoing, essential work. Therefore, while we are unable to act directly when an animal requires an officer’s assistance, we can offer welfare advice, education services, community-based events and financial support. All animal welfare concerns and reports, including neglect, cruelty, abuse, injury and medical emergencies should be reported to 0300 1234 999. Quick ‘cheat sheet’ - Do you need National or Branch? I’m interested in subsidised neutering or microchipping vouchers - Branch I need to report an animal welfare concern or emergency - National I’ve had a card put through my door asking for a call back - National I’d like to volunteer, locally - Branch I’d like to donate some clothes or goods - Branch I’d like to know more about my local pet food bank - Branch I need to update the RSPCA about an ongoing animal welfare concern - National I work for a school or education provider, and we’d like to talk to the RSPCA about a school visit or education provision - Branch Can the RSPCA attend our careers day - Branch
  • How National RSPCA investigations work
    The National RSPCA Society investigate and prosecute animal cruelty reported to them by members of the public who are concerned about the welfare of animals. They are often asked how this process works and why it takes time before they act or prosecute. Here you'll find the answers along with our other frequently asked questions.
  • Why can’t my local branch assist with an animal welfare incident?
    As a local branch, we are here to sign-post and offer advice where we are able. This might be referring members of the public to specific sites, numbers, organisations, or to the national helpline - depending on what the concern regards. However, we are a separate charity to the National RSPCA, with our own charity number. Our work is community-based, and includes advice and sign-posting regarding all aspects of animal welfare, including: Financial aid for neutering and microchipping Emergency funding towards veterinary consultations Support for the RSPCA frontline teams Prevention education: working with schools and local authorities to develop animal welfare education materials for children and young people Community outreach (advice and support around best practices in animal welfare) Vet clinic days (working with local vets to provide lower cost treatments for members of our community) Supporting food banks to provide food and equipment for those with pets who are on a low income Events and fundraising to help raise awareness and to support local animals in need
  • Help RSPCA find you with what3words
    what3words is an easy way to identify precise locations. It has divided the world into a grid of 3 metre squares and given each square a unique combination of three random words: a what3words address. For example, ///chemistry.cloth.woke points to the precise entrance of Brighton Palace Pier. The what3words app is free to download for both iOS and Android, and works offline, making it ideal for use in areas with an unreliable data connection. what3words can also be used via the online map at It's an easy way to find, share, save and navigate to any location, anywhere in the world.
  • Can I register my pet with the RSPCA?
    No. We do not have a registry for pets, as we do not provide direct animal care. We work with local vets within our branch area to help assist where people on specific benefits may need financial assistance for neutering and microchipping. If you are looking for low cost veterinary care, please contact your local PDSA.
  • Can I visit your Branch Office?
    If you have a welfare matter that you need to discuss, please call us in the first instance - as we may be able to to direct you to the appropriate place over the phone. If you would like to apply for our assisted neutering scheme, or our pet food bank, or you would like to volunteer with us and you are unable to fill out an online form, please call us to book an appointment where we can go through this with you in person, or over a call. Our Branch Telephone number is 0191 380 5636 and our Office Hours are as follows:- Monday - Friday 9 am - 5 pm Saturday and Sunday - Closed The National Helpline is open from 9am to 5pm - 0300 1234 999 The call will cost the same as any call to a UK landline number. Please only call the National Helpline if you have a genuine animal welfare emergency is one where an animal that is sick, injured or trapped and it is not safe or suitable for a member of public to assist. Or where an animal is in a situation that results in risk to life or imminent danger of it being harmed. Please note, during busier periods your call may be placed in a queue. You'll be asked a variety of questions to ensure that your call is prioritised according to its urgency and to ensure there is enough information for us to investigate. Please read our reporting cruelty checklist for further information.
  • I have lost my pet, can you help?
    If your animal is microchipped and found by a member of the RSPCA, they will be scanned for microchip details and the owner will be contacted. All animals that have come into RSPCA care and are categorised as ‘stray’ will be listed on the Animal Search website. We also advise that you contact local vets in the area to see if your pet has been handed in as a stray, or taken in to be scanned for a microchip. Also visit our forum and post details in lost or found section.
  • I have found a stray dog, what should I do?
    The RSPCA are unable to assist unless the dog is in urgent need of veterinary treatment, or where the welfare of the dog is clearly at high risk. If this is the case, please call 0300 1234 999. In the instance where you have found a stray dog with no obvious illness or injuries, please contact your local dog warden. Here is a list if useful numbers: Tyne And Wear Newcastle Upon Tyne dog warden 0191 2116102 North Tyneside dog warden 0845 200 10 1 Gateshead dog warden 0191 433 31 31 South Tyneside dog warden 0191 427 70 00 Sunderland dog warden 0191 553 1661/1662 out of hours – 0191 520 5550 Cleveland Hartlepool dog warden 01429 52 33 33 Stockton On Tees dog warden 01642 52 65 75 Redcar And Cleveland dog warden 01642 77 47 74 Durham Wear Valley dog warden 01388 765555 / Ext 877 Derwentside dog warden 01207 21 83 11 Chester Le Street dog warden 01913 71 10 40 Durham dog warden 01913 78 04 39 Easington dog warden 01915 27 50 40 Teesdale dog warden 01833 69 00 00 Sedgefield dog warden 01388 81 61 66 Darlington dog warden 01325 38 87 99 Northumberland Dog Warden 01670 627000 and 0345 600 6400 Dog wardens across the country: Click Here
  • I have found a stray cat, what should I do?
    In some cases, if you spot a cat that seems in good health, even if it is hanging around a fair bit - it is still possible that the cat is someone’s pet. Cats are roaming animals, and they will return to areas where resources are plentiful. This is why we advise that you do not feed visiting cats if they look in good health, as they will learn to return. However, cats do occasionally stray, get lost, or require assistance for their health and wellbeing. In these cases, they may need our help. To learn more about cats, ferals and who to contact, please click here
  • What to do if a wild animal needs help.
    For important information on how to appropriately handle wildlife, including a list of those you should NOT attempt to handle, please click here. The RSPCA National team receives a call about an animal welfare concern every 30 seconds. During the spring and summer months, calls about wildlife increase considerably. As a branch, we are here to help signpost and share important information across our community that aims to inform people how they can help when they spot a wild animal in need, and when to contact the RSPCA. In the Northeast, (at full staff capacity) the RSPCA frontline team consists of 20 members of full time staff (including Animal Rescue Officers and Inspectors), and an additional 7 part time staff. This area spans from the borders of Scotland, down to the borders of North Yorkshire, and across to Haltwhistle. That's often less than 1 frontline team member for every 123 square miles. Spotted a wild animal in need? Here's some advice as to when you should contact the RSPCA for assistance: Is the animal in a safe place, with no injuries or obvious signs of illness? Yes - leave them be. No - read on. Is the animal on a road and in danger of harm? Yes - please click here. No - read on. Is the animal a young bird whose parents are still in sight / feeding it? Yes - leave them be and/or move them to a safer spot, away from roads and in some shade, if possible. Their parents should take care of them whilst they are learning to find their feet/wings. No - read on. Have you found an injured or young and abandoned hedgehog? Yes - please search for your local hedgehog rescue service. No - read on. Have you found a bat? Yes - please call 0345 1300 228 No - read on. Please now use the following flowchart below to see the best course of action to take: There are a number of wildlife rehabilitation services in various local areas. An online search should help you locate the best option based on details such as your location, the needs of the animal, and the animal type. Some only have facilities to take in birds, others can offer assistance for small mammals. Contact them directly for more information. Where there is no assistance available, and you believe an animal is in urgent need, please call 0300 1234 999.
  • Where can I learn more about humane deterrents for wildlife in my garden?
    When wildlife starts to pose a problem to people, there are humane ways to go about deterring animals and controlling populations. Please visit Humane Deterrents and population control.
  • I need advice on bees in my home / garden?
    If you can live happily with bees as part of your garden, where they are not causing too much disruption, it’s best to leave them alone. Bees are a vital part of the pollination process, making them an essential part of nature. If you have a hive in your home, or somewhere that is causing an inconvenience, you may wish to contact the British Beekeepers Association for more information, including humane removal.
  • I need advice on Badgers
    Please visit this page for more information
  • I need advice on Foxes
    For all fox related questions please visit
bottom of page